Can you have too much self-esteem? The answer is yes. There is a thin line between having self-esteem and being narcissist. So how do you find the balance? How do you make sure you have just enough self-esteem to live a happy, fulfilling, and productive life? Let’s start by taking a look at the definition of narcissism.
What Is a Narcissist and How Much Self-Esteem Is Too Much?
Interestingly enough, a narcissist can be someone who has very fragile self-esteem. The definition of a narcissist is, “A person with a mental disorder where they have an inflated sense of their own self-importance.” They wear a mask of self-confidence and self-esteem. In fact, most narcissists are vulnerable to criticism. They need to feel admired and beloved and usually have a tremendous lack of empathy for others.
Narcissists have too much self-esteem. SO how much is too much? If you’re unable to be realistic and in touch with who you are, then you may have too much. It’s about being aware of who you are. If people perceive you as vain, conceited, or pretentious, you may have too much self-esteem. People with heightened self-esteem feel entitled and insist on having the best of everything – they feel they deserve it.
There are some sure-fire signs of healthy self-esteem, and these signs or types of behavior are what you want to look for in yourself and in those you bring into your life. They include:
- The ability to feel proud of your accomplishments
- The ability to act independently
- The willingness to laugh at yourself
- The ability to accept compliments, and the willingness to give them
- The willingness to accept responsibility for your thoughts and actions
- The ability to accept challenges with enthusiasm
- Knowing you’re worthwhile
- Knowing you’re in control of your life
- The willingness to express yourself and a willingness to listen to others express themselves
- An ability to work through challenges, frustrations, and problems
- The ability to hear criticism and not take it personally
Most people don’t have too much self-esteem. The vast majority of people have healthy self-esteem or low self-esteem. If you or someone you know has too much, it’s a good idea to visit a physician. But if you’re like most folks, then you could probably use some help with your self-esteem.
In my next post I want to tackle one of the biggest challenges to healthy self-esteem. We’re talking about criticism and how to not take it personally!